The bedroom is all about achieving bliss and relaxation. It serves as a sanctuary where you can privately relax and re-energise after a long day. However, a dark and dreary bedroom isn’t very inviting.
A large amount of time is spent in the bedroom reading, relaxing and obviously sleeping. Well positioned lights are essential in transforming a bedroom’s overall atmosphere. A clever combination of lights can bring warmth to a bedroom and convert it into a comfortable cosy retreat.
Lighting is essential in the home, decorative wall lights are an excellent final addition to any bedroom. From traditional to contemporary LED wall lights, here are some examples of wall lights to help re-energise your bedroom.
Due to their popularity, recessed wall lights are also being used in the bedroom. Traditionally, these lights are used as stair lights, in bathrooms as mood or night lights, and in kitchen as feature lights to give the benches a floating appearance. The use of these recessed wall lights in the bedroom can provide soft mood lighting to assist with relaxation. Combining these wall lights with a low Kelvin warm white light source helps to create a comfortable cosy atmosphere.
Wall sconce lights
Wall sconces come in a variety of shapes and styles. Single-light wall sconces include the wedge, bullet and silo. The contemporary or modern styles include wall-mounted rectangle-shaped scones with frosted square glass lamps. Below are the different types of wall sconce lights and their styles:
- Up Lighting – this type of sconce light casts its light in an upward direction, making a room appear larger. Although an up light is often used for entryways, living rooms, hallways and dining rooms, installing them in the bedroom is also a good choice. Small bedrooms will benefit from having a pair of up sconce lights beside its bed.
- Down Lighting – this wall light grounds the room as it direct its light downward. Downward focused lights are ideal for large rooms as they can make them more inviting. Larger bedrooms can benefit from installing downward focused lights due to their size. Downward focused lighting wall lights are also preferable for people who enjoy reading in bed as the light cascades over your shoulder onto the book page, perfect for reading.
- Candle – the first wall sconces held real burning candles and were the inspiration for the modern candle sconce. Most of these types of wall sconces have shade covering their bulbs. Since they emit a small amount of light, candle sconces are perfect for creating a cosy and romantic feel.
- Swing arm – this wall sconce can be plugged in or wired directly. It has a folding, telescopic arm which allows it to be pulled close to the wall or away from it. Swing arm sconces are also ideal as bedside lamps and reading nooks, since their lights can be adjusted for optimal lighting. It is one of the most flexible wall sconce lights on the market.
- Up and Down – casting light in both directions (up and down), this wall sconce is ideal for any bedroom. It balances light distribution within the space, making it more comfortable.
- Rustic – this style is suited for bedrooms with rustic interiors because of its distressed finish and darker colours. It adds character to any interior and blends with a similar rustic décor.
- Transitional – this is a mixture of contemporary and traditional style. Transitional-styled wall sconces feature toned-down versions of traditional detailing. In addition, they are not sleek and lack the minimalist design of a contemporary wall sconce. It also fits with any type of interior design.
- Traditional – heavier on details compared to the other styles, traditional wall scones reflect styles from the past and feature ornate designs. Some of its elements include crystals and tiffany shades which reflect light in a more classic manner. Since traditional sconce lights have formal appearances, they can add an upscale feel in the bedroom. Pair it with traditional interiors, these lights will fit seamlessly.
- Contemporary – gone are the ornate designs and heavy details. Instead, contemporary sconces have silver-coloured polished metals. They are simple, streamlined and sleek. They are ideal for bedrooms with modern design as these sconces will blend perfectly. Décor styles looking for simplistic designs can also benefit from use these contemporary sconces.
Wall mounted lights not only provide ambient light to a bedroom; they also add stylistic touches to enhance the décor style you have chosen. Combined with dimmers switches wall lights are versatile enough to create the proper mood and ambiance in any space.
Track wall lights
Primarily designed to theme with modern décors, track mounted wall lights can help increase a room’s visual appeal and light, along with flexibility as the lamp heads are usually adjustable. These wall-mounted lights are often available in different sizes, colours and styles. Since bedrooms require a subdued atmosphere to induce a restful sleep, track lights for bedrooms should also be accompanied with dimmers, providing control over the amount of light required.
Using wall lights to decorate your bedroom is easy. They provide light to the space but using them wisely can add elegance. Wall lights are also great alternatives to bedside lamps and provide enough light to create the perfect ambiance. Use the right type of light to complement your bedroom’s design and re-energise it.
Discount Lighting stock a large variety of wall lights to suit all décor styles, we would be delighted to assist you with your lighting selections.